Skip to main content

We've been good but it won't last...Hurry Christmas Hurry Fast

"Event" Calendar Report:
Day 5-Donate Food to food Bank.
Abbie opened up the event and looked at me and said,
A: That's not really that fun, ya know.
me: Course, starving's no fun either
A:What?

I took a moment and explained to her that not everyone has a full pantry to go to for food anytime they want. We talked about how the food banks work and how at the place where I work out they have the special bins for the food bank. She then got excited and started filling bags with food. She even went into the basement food storage and filled another bag. Amelia was trying to lug the bags around but couldn't. I loaded the girls into the car and off we went talking about how Christmas is a great time to look for how we can give to others when we have been so blessed. There was lots of warm fuzzy feelings and I recognized those and mentioned to her why she was feeling so good and happy. Great parenting moment. We walked into my gym and I helped her put the bags of food in the bins. The last bag Amelia wanted to help so I assisted her by putting the bags in.

Then I saw them.


In the bag.

My.

Trader.

Joe's.

Marinara.

Sauce.

Oh. Chasquido!!!(that's SNAP in Spanish fyi).....I suppose it would be tacky to reach in and grab it now, right?

Secretly, I thought about how its not that fun to starve but that its really really really not fun to not have a Trader Joe's nearby for my Marinara Sauce. Don't worry there was at least 4 bottles of Prego in the basement....yum?

On our way out the door Abbie stopped at the guy in charge of memberships and motioned over to the bins, "Here ya go!!!". It sort of melted my heart a little.

Day 6:Read Christmas books by the fire. Instead Brad and his girls did a little Nutcracker (Barbie Nutcracker that is). Good Stuff.

Did I mention I am done with their Christmas shopping? yay for me. (and Kohl's)..(and Brad for making me go to Kohl's)

Comments

mamasuisse said…
I love your Event Calendar! I may have to copy that next year after you give up all your ideas.
Celia Fae said…
Ooo, fancy Christmas blog. I can't wait to see who doesnt' get rid of their Christmas blog decorations until January. I need more excitement in my life.

Please tell me Brad did the Nutcracker with his girls. In his everyday wear that you mentioned in my comments. I need a good laugh.
Celia Fae said…
Ooo, fancy Christmas blog. I can't wait to see who doesnt' get rid of their Christmas blog decorations until January. I need more excitement in my life.

Please tell me Brad did the Nutcracker with his girls. In his everyday wear that you mentioned in my comments. I need a good laugh.
Jessica said…
Why is Celia leaving her double comments everywhere?

Love the opening conversation.

I had that happen once, where I read this Friend story about a girl giving her favorite thing to some needy child and I suggested we all go get our favorite something to give away. And then I couldn't do it. I gave my second favorite sweater away. Lame.

You are obviously a far better mother than I and when my kids only make it to bishopric counselor and yours make it to bishop, we'll all know why.
Ashley Clark said…
Good job giving away your valuables. :) There are certain things you can find at Trader Joe's that you can't find anywhere else! I would never give away those mini chocolate chip cookies, or the margherite pizzas.
Hazen5 said…
Come to my house, I've got some Trader Joe's Marinara Sauce waiting for you!
heidiram said…
Let's not even talk about TJs please. Now that mom and dad moved from CA, my TJ connection has been lost. WAHHHHH!
heidiram said…
Thanks Heath, Abbie, and Jessica for giving me some modern day examples about sacrifice. That's what our lesson in Sunday school was about. I used your examples in SS class today. The youth really thought the whole TJ Marinara sauce and 2nd favorite sweater were great.
Nortorious said…
I've recently tried Kohls. Now everybody is going to get presents, whereas before we were just planning to play sick.
Unknown said…
Thanks so much for last night - it was so fun for me to get together with people (I've been a little lonely in OR) and thank you for hosting us all!! Love you and your family very much. Good thing I don't live close because you may see me more than you may want. please drop me a line if you are able to when you are in my neck of the woods.
*Tanyetta* said…
Merry Christmas! Love your decorations. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!