Skip to main content

I'm all about the Christmas

Since Brad and I got married in January we had quite a few after-Christmas sale type presents. Therefore, I have quite a Christmas collection (13 boxes worth, thankyouverymuch). I mostly have it all up and Brad thought he would take some pictures (which actually look sort of wickedy wack, it looks much better in person).
Real tree with VERY fake ornaments the girls chose and decorated themselves.We will not be winning the neighborhood lighting contest but its quality not quantity...
Fake tree with real ornaments with train. Santa stops here.
Really cool vintage Christmas tree WAY out of the reach of Mia Mia

New Christmas tradition. We have the chocolate book. We have the Santa Advent calendar (which Brad has always called the "Event Calendar"). Last year we got another advent, count-downy type thing and Abbie and I decided to make it an "event calendar". Here's what we have done so far:1. Buy real Christmas tree (whole other posty), 2: Make Christmas ornaments-set up a table during stake conference on the stage-CHECK! 3: Buy Christmas book 4: Play on northpole.com. For journaling purposes I will write down what the rest of the days are too. Basically its my little way to maintain my title as "Most Awesome Mom" and do the things we are going to do anyway only with a little bit of pacing.

Christmas PROBLEM: My 5-year-old would like Mr. Ho Ho Ho to bring her something that is so not happenin' it ain't even funny. This or This or This It's either out of the budget, no place to store it, or too large. Since doing this is NOT an option what should I do? Most of our Christmas budget will be going to Portland for our little visit on New Year's. Ideas please...

Comments

Unknown said…
Glad to know that Charlie Brown tree made it up this year - i do look forward to your pictures of that.
Where did that train come from?
Summmack said…
You are set! If the neighborhood light contest was between you and me you would definetly win. Andy is refusing to do lights this year, so all I get are the ones I put on my porch:(
ashli said…
Heather-
I think you get her the jeep...it will pass down through all the kids and be a sound purchase for that reason. Just don't buy the Barbie one...Max will not appreiciate. I didn't get one when Isaac asked and now I feel like it's too late. About the whole Santa thing... I can't imagine denying my kids of that right, but admire those who feel the lying thing just won't fly. To me it's not lying, it's magic. Maybe we are all warped and crazy because of this. Hoping your Holidays are Magical and that your 'event calendar' is full of lots of fun family times! You are one awesome mom!
ashli
brad said…
My Mom made the vintage ceramic tree in a ceramic class when I was (1) year old. (Am I of "vintage age"?) She also gave us the train.

She has recently downsized her Danville home to a more manageable town home (also in Danville) and has been happily donating several memorable decorations to us. Lucky us.
Jen Lynn said…
B/C we're so poor, I keep telling my kids that Santa is only bringing one present this year. Aive only wants the Butterscotch Pony and I keep telling her not to hold her breath. At least on her Santa list she said she wanted that and anything else that Santa wants to bring her. Phew. So easy to please.

Also, I still believe in Santa !;)

And... Leah does NOT have a blog and I keep telling her she should.
heidiram said…
I say send the wish list to Shirley or Wilma. They'll hook you up.
Leah said…
Hey Heather I am working on my blog and my dear husband keeps telling me he'll help me, but alas he has not. Soon I promise.
Hazen5 said…
Your house and decorations look fabulous!!! I am with Heidi, pass the list to the grandparents! What are the Santa Cows!!!
Grandma said…
Nice work on the lights Brad!
AnnEE said…
I can't wait for your Christmas post. Hava Nagila. Shalom.
Paige said…
That house would win on our street! Fantastic.13 boxes of stuff? Methinks you need to watch the hoarder show.
wow. how fun to have so many decorations. we have about 6 things... and a few ornaments. sad, but true.

So, I was sad to read that you'll be in Portland for New Years... we'll be there for Christmas, it would've been fun to hook up at the OMSI or something. Maybe we'll get to Utah sometime soon...
MissLed said…
When I was little, my grandparents had a mechanical horse that we could ride on. It was awesome. We called him "Tony the Pony," They gave him to Megan and I, but then they kept him at their house for when we visited. Now I'm starting to wonder if my parents just refused to take that big thing home. I say go with the trend....buy them all the big toys you want and send them home with Momala!
AnnEE said…
Momala has no more room for stuff at her house, because it's slowly making its way into ours!!
AnnEE said…
Momala has no more room for stuff at her house, because it's slowly making its way into ours!!
Jessica G. said…
Love the Christmas decor! And at least you have lights...ol' Daddy Scrooge doesn't want to hang 'em.
Wendy said…
Hi Heather! I agree that in my book you guys have tons of lights and it looks great.

I've got the same problem with my child. He wants this one transformer and I've looked and can't find it anymore. Now I'm worried that if he doesn't get it he'll stop believing in Santy Claus. Maybe that would be better, then I can quit lying about it when he asks.
Hazen5 said…
Me likey the New Lookey!!!
Nortorious said…
Get her a pony costume and have her pretend to be a pony.
I always tell my nieces and nephews to ask for ponies or dogs. Parents like that.
WOW, new look to the BLOG - I like
Melanie said…
Love the festive look! Truman wants the John Deere version of the power wheels...SO NOT HAPPENING!!!! And, Santa is very real at our house this year and we are loving it! :)
p.s. the decorations look lovely.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!