Skip to main content

"A Warm Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Type Day"

My little taste testers.

Exactly 3 months ago Bradfo lost his job. It has been a humbling, soul crushing, precious trial that I am happy to report is now over. I am proud that he remained hopeful throughout it all (when I was mostly breaking down and freaking out), that he logged in a lot of long hours in the search, he attended career workshops, resume clinics, met with someone to help nail the interview, made a lot of great contacts with recruiters and basically learned a lot about himself.

For the first time in nearly seven years he will be leaving the house to go to work (He's been downstairs in the basement). I will pack his lunch (most likely leftovers from the night before), kiss him goodbye, and drop him off (we are still a 1 car family). It will be an adjustment for all of us. He will need to get dressed (sorry buddy, I don't think PJ bottoms and garment tops are part of the dress code bummer dude). I will no longer be able to run quick errands while the kids are asleep and I will miss my "I'm going out to do _________ do you want to come and go get lunch?". He has been able to witness all the important milestones in my children's life, has been an incredible support during my pregnancies, and has put up with all the "interruptions" having him downstairs offered. Remember when Abbbie figured out the intercom system? She would beep you a million times a day with pressing matters such as "Do you like cheese?". You know that same intercom system that Max has cracked and sends little random messages all over the house? awesome.

I am grateful for these last 3 months for all that we've learned. When it all comes down to it--it absolutely is FAMILY first. I've learned that even though my food storage rules, feeding the family 3 meals a day 7 days a week will take a toll on your reserves. I love that I have been stockpiling and hoarding for months so we never really felt the crunch in those terms. I am breathing a big old sigh of relief to have medical benefits again. I hated when Max caught croup and I hesitated taking him to the ER because how would we pay our Mortgage in November? After seeing the American Girls Kit Kittredge movie Abbie became very concerned that we would lose our house and I would need to go sell eggs. (I did not need to go sell any eggs). It has effected our whole family profoundly to say the least.

I am thankful for all the kind thoughts, prayers, and concerned phone calls sent our way. You have no idea what that support meant to us. (especially the phone calls...seriously, thank you.)

Now on to our next adventure!

Comments

Lindy said…
Hoo-ray! That is so awesome--except for the not being able to go to work in pajama pants and garment tops part. sorry brad. But we are so happy for you guys. (Though I was looking forward to some farm fresh eggs...) I'm always impressed by everything you do, but I was especially impressed by how you handled this trial and how it seemed to make you even more amazing than before...as if that were possible...
Paige said…
Congrats! And you may just love not having him around. It can be g tops and jammies for YOU all day!
congrats to brad. here's to an easy adjustment!
That is so great. I hope he like his new job. Thank you for sharing and for your kind words.
AnnEE said…
You're rad. I called you because I'm your sister, that's how it works, right??
Jessica G. said…
So which job did he take?

(and we missed ya last night!)
MissLed said…
Yay! Congratulations Bradfo and Heather. That is very happy news.
Jessica said…
We did that for 8 months a few years ago and it is brutal. I'm so happy that you have a job now, and even more happy that you saw all you gained from it.

You are awesome. And Brad, too.
heidiram said…
YEAH! Big sigh of relief.
wenderful said…
That was us this time last year. It's tough and certainly makes you appreciate employment. Congratulations on the new job. And on the weight loss! You look fabulous.
Angela said…
The question is-how did you lose weight while you were going through this trial? Now that is self-control!
alison said…
I like this post. I am also very happy to hear that Bradford has a job in an economy that isn't so great. What success! I also wanted to mention your weight loss. Many, many, many people struggle (including myself). Many people would love to be in your shoes (including myself). Since I know how HARD it is mentally, and physically, my hat is off to you! Sure, it's great to look nice, but you have made changes with self-discipline, nutrition and exercise. Weight loss means saying no at parties, saying no when you are sad, happy, and frustrated. And for all of that I say congratulations!!!!
Linsey said…
Wonderful, just wonderful.
Ashley Clark said…
Congratulations! We have been thinking of you all. The fact that this stress was going on and you STILL managed to lose all that weight makes you even more amazing. I would have said, "forget it!" while walking to the fridge. :)
jean said…
That is awesome to hear! We are so relieved and happy for you guys! And you know it was hard for me too to adjust from having Peter being home all the time (when he was in school) to actually being gone all day (when he started working), but I found that I am way more productive when he's not home. Go figure!
Kimberly said…
Great news! We have been through the jobless thing. Not fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!