You might want to enlarge it to get the beauty of my handwriting.
This afternoon I was playing in my parents playroom and I stumbled upon a notebook that I had written in when I was probably in the 4th or 5th grade. Here is one note I found particularly amusing.
I will transcribe exactly as it is written with my comments in parantheses:
Dear Shannon, (cousin Shann-AN. A.N. whatever)
I havent written in a long time because I guess my only excuse is school. (oh the life of an elementary school girl so demanding!) You try and live on a schedle (schedule) of having your own article in the newspaper, school sectretary (a poor spelling one) and clairinet (clarinet) and being an iceskater. (I love how its like a challenge. You. Try) Speaking of iceskating (one word) (I don't think you know) (that last part was really in parantheses. What can I say, I've always been a fan) but Ive been at it for a while and take lessons (I think I was "at it" for a year. I can only figure it must have been around the 4th grade because I had a birthday party held at the skating rink where I made the foolish foolish decision to dry shave my legs. Then go skating. Yee-owtch.) Im in ADVANCED out of Basic 1, Basic 2, Novice, Inermetate (intermediate), advanced. I have about 7 more classes of group then I take private lessons and then can go into professional. (I can't believe how close I was to the professional level. Maybe after 9 classes I would be at the olympics!) Pretty exciting huh?! (Double puncuation) Well write me back and tell me 'whats going down okay! (she never wrote back because she never received this letter. Much like today I stink at mailing the letters. I have millions of written notes, cards, letters sitting around just waiting to be mailed. That's why I rule at on-line bill pay. Totally meant for me)
Love,
Heather (I remember I used to practice and practice those H's. I would even color in the H's on the left hand side.)
ps Send me a picture and say hi to Zack for me.
I also love how on the back of the notebook (which actually has my sister's name on it. It says Heidi H..Journal Volume 1. I crossed it out and wrote things like Heather -n-Nick. Nick Zurcher was his name I think, which surprises me because I had a very intense and unrequited love for a boy named Mark Willard. (google him, he's somewhat famous.)I also approve how on the back of the (stolen) notebook it says punk is puek. I believe I was attempting to say punk is puke. There is also some scribblings about a band called scritti politti. Can I name even one song they sing. No. I cannot.
Comments
This is a life lesson of the value of keeping a journal. This piece was just the start to your degree in journalism (and subsequent blogging)!
Aren't you glad your Father didn't toss this letter out the second story window in Foster City while cleaning your room? By the way, does it still count as a "mailed" letter to Shannan some 25 years later?
I love you lots.
Padre
Padre
Since it's the crack of dawn, will you please tell mom and dad to PACK A SWEATER or jacket? It's currently 44 degrees. Tino was very concerned about grandma and grandpa, but I told him I would NOT call them at 5:30 a.m. (Utah time) to remind them to pack a jacket.
I never knew you were taking ice skating when we were kids. So now that I have received this letter via blogland, I say back to you - that's great and I hope you love to take them. (then I would have gone to my mom and said that I needed to take ice skating lessons too)