Skip to main content

Worst Parenting Moments: or the WPM Award-Day 1

Its award season (side note, Ricky Gervais and the Golden Globes? Snoozeroo. Bring back Neal Patrick Harris please.). I love award season. I love to predict the winners, make fun of the losers, and marvel at the stars stylists. I have noticed also as of late, that I am having my own "performances" with lots of "drama", very little "comedy", no "makeup" as if it came straight out of a "screenplay" particularly in the realm of parenting.

I also love a good blog theme, right? So I give you: The Award for Worst Parenting Moment: Day 1: Nearly Blowing the Whole Tooth Fairy Thing or it was all a dream, sleep on


I approach the door cautiously. Abbie locked it. Super against family rules to lock doors at night. Wonder if she's onto me and has figured out how things "work".

Grab piece from Sesame Street Domino Game to try to pick the lock. Unsuccessful. Cardboard ends have been chewed. Useless.

Rummage around in mule chest and find old baby spoon. Try not to analyze why there's a spoon in my bedroom. Have never fed kids solids in my room.

Breathe a sigh of relief that I don't have to shimmy my way under the bed to find the tooth pillow. I mean, seriously. Look at all the child needs to have around her when she sleeps. Feel happy she rigged a little system to make the pillow more accessible.

Relief turns to annoyance when I realize that she has MacGyvered a trap with shoelaces that are attached to her arm. If you pull on them she will wake. I KNOW. Getting way too smart for me.


Ha.Ha! Find that although she may be smart she's a lousy knot tye-er. So I am easily able to detatch the pillow along with the note inside and tooth. Note says "Dear Tooth Fairy, How are you doing. You are relly grate. I love you! Love Abbie.

Make the exchange

Crap my pants when middle child asks "What are you doing". Strike that. Crap my pants AND get startled so I threw the tooth somewhere when middle child asks "What are you doing"

Think fast and grab water on dresser and reply "I thought you might need a drink." Ignore accusing eyes over the water cup.

Go to bed with the knowledge that I've probably blown the tooth fairy for not 1 but 2 of my daughters. Clearly I am a show in for the WPM award today. Now about my speech.

Comments

LMBO (you know, the PG version of LMAO)
--Sean
Angela said…
That's hilarious! You have one smart kid! I can't believe she rigged her tooth up to her arm.
heidiram said…
The girl is a genius!
queenieweenie said…
In my house the tooth fairy is super lazy and often forgets to collect teeth....for DAYS! Seriously, she's got to get it together.

That girl is too smart..it's her, not you!
Nortorious said…
Love that you're willing to wake up kids for the sake of a good blog pic. She looks positively delirious with the flash in her eyes.
Rad post.
Connie said…
Very funny! At least you remembered she lost her tooth. Did you know that the tooth fairy doesn't come on Monday nights? It's family night.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ashli said…
hilarious....
that girl is way too smart for her own good.
now are you going to feel bad when she is old enough to be told and she finds out you were lying all along? just wondering because i have a major lied complex right now. santa was almost non existent at our house this year because i couldn't pull the lie!

thanks for the laugh!
Linsey said…
Booby trapped pillow, pretty savvy -- sounds a little like the apple not falling far from the tree.
I love that she boobie trapped her pillow after locking the door. Try a little screw driver(phillips head to open the door) works in our house when doors are looked! I love your blogs!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!