Skip to main content

This I used to believe...day 3

(you know when you compose a post then hesitate a bit because you are fully aware that it does not exactly put you in the best of light? Sort of exposes your thoughts to the real world. ehm yeah. here it is.)

Before I had children of my own I did not fully understand the passion of a 3 year old meltdown. I thought I would be able to calm my troubled child during all fits and be patient and understanding.

This I used to believe...

(insert banging head against keyboard)


This morning Amelia was having an "off" day. So I decided rather than react to the crazy I would take pictures of her behaviour so I can always remember it. She was thrashing and screaming and destroying all that was in her path. As a general rule, this sort of behaviour is not one that can be attributed to Amelia. It was odd and out of place for her so it sort of threw me for a loop. As I was watching her it reminded me of a movie but I couldn't remember which one. (as a side note, last night at Macey's I saw a man that reminded me of those big tree things in Lord of the Rings. Boyfriend was TALL). It should be noted that her meltdown stemmed from a fact of shoes or more correctly, her not wanting to wear shoes to preschool. However, I didn't know that because she wasn't using her words. So I sit watching her kick and throw things.

Ah. yes. Now I remember the movie. I'm slightly embarrassed because it absolutely makes me seem like an insensitive jerk. I could not help it. The parallels were uncanny.

Curious about the movie?


I know. I am very ashamed. Should be noted I am not hating on Ms. Keller. Another side note, she went to school and happily came home and forgot the whole thing.

Comments

Ilene said…
That was stinkin' hilarious. It isn't shameful. It should all give us hope that our devious children can one evolve into a saint-like person as did Helen Keller.
AnnEE said…
You are going to hell, but apparently, so I am for laughing so hard at this. BAHAHAHAHA.
MissLed said…
Do you ever watch Super Nanny? She totally gets her techniques from this woman! I love it!
heidiram said…
That is pretty funny . . . when it is someone else's kid. Try that every single day for almost 4 years. Oh wait, we had about a 1 1/2 year break from those kinds of meltdowns. Sarah is back on the meltdown track again. And it stinks. It sucks the living life out of you.
Jessica said…
Next time, how about you post something that really makes me see a single parenting weakness, because all I ever see is that you are a super star mom.
Hazen5 said…
My Jaw just dropped! You are so bad, coming from a mother whose daughter is deaf (well almost)!

My kids look just like that.
queenieweenie said…
awwww...the 3 year old temper tantrum--absolutely cannot be outdone-unless it's a teenager tantrum. oh you wait.

thanks for being the hostess with the mostess last week-and for hand-holding me through my awkward question!!!
Anonymous said…
I am well acquainted with the 3 year old melt down. Ali looks like an angel...and she is...most of the time. She does have hard core melt downs, and there really isn't anything to do about them except ignore them. When they are in public, I get shameful looks from other people. I used to believe as you, that children are rational and I could deal with them with patience, love, and understanding. So much more my college class theories from child development.
April said…
I live with 4 of 5 who've done this. Powerful. Ture to life. I have the bite marks to prove it--ouch. The worst tantrum was when Garrett got out of his buckels and open the sliding van door and was going to jump out because he was so mad. I had to put him in the driver's seat with me gently sitting on him so that we could make it home. Staying where we were was not an option. Ogden canyon= busy road or raging river...Thanks I'll sit on my kid and drive 5 minutes until we get home and I can safely deal with the situation. Annie is the orginial ABA lady. Over and over and again and again...routine, not budging...firm...but then they award you with love.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!