Skip to main content

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!


Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures.

Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me.
Some important thoughts on my new calling:

In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success.

One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out.

Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR.

Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.)

I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine.

I hope I will have the discipline to keep studying the scriptures hard.

I really like my counselors.

I don't know any of the songs that they sung today.

Comments

oh Heather. I wish you luck with that one. I'm sure you'll be great! (i've never served in primary -officially- (i did activity day but that was thursdays after school not on sunday) either, becoming president would be a little overwhelming!)
Ashley Clark said…
I kept trying to figure out what GD was. I thought it was a secret combo of bad words, like the cursing version of "Gosh darn." Then I realized it was Gospel Doctrine. Duh!
Paige said…
Primary is fantastic. Truly inspired and so much fun. I would never want to be president. First counselor is just fine.
Tricia said…
The kids are going to love you. And you will learn the songs, I promise (except the ones that they've changed the words since we were kids like The Chapel Doors and The Golden Plates--what is up with THAT?).
Christy said…
You are so funny, I love peeking in on your blog (which I discovered from Melanie E). I'm with you - I'll teach Gospel Doctrine over primary any day (and I've done both!) But, I am ever so grateful for wonderful primary leaders and teachers that teach my kids, so even though you do not serve in my ward, I say THANK YOU!
ashli said…
Wowsa! That's a biggie! Coming from someone who has been in primary since gradutating high school...trust me, it is the place to be! You learn the songs your kids are singing and get to the basics and simplicity of the gospel! You will be the best pres. because of your organization and love of your own children.
Good Luck!
Lindy said…
you were just too smart for us old folks in GD, so your talents will be better spent on the more intelligent generation (the nose-picking one--of which I have three members). you will be great!
Hazen5 said…
Bring treats, lots of treats kids like that. When I go to your ward in April I am skipping GD and RS and heading straight to Primary with the kids!!!!
Lindy said…
I did mean, in all seriousness, that the primary consists of the chosen generation, who are smarter and stronger in testimony than their parents (on some things--just don't tell them that). Only a few of them actually pick their noses, I'm sure (again, my three included).
Jessica said…
I hadn't been in Primary for 20 years either when I got called.

Favorite calling ever.
Robyn said…
When I heard your name annouced today in sacarment I knew they had made the right choice! You will be great, and Im excited, I will get to see you a little more know! I have the eternal primary calling! congrats and good luck! You will be super!
Celia Fae said…
I was going to be jealous until I figured out you were the Pres. Love Primary, never want to be the pres of anything. You'll be great. Make sure you bring lots of rope. And tell Brad to keep taking pictures.
Emily said…
After seeing your work at the Seminary, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that you will excel and teach those children exactly how and what they need to learn! You are an amazing teacher, and I am excited for your adventure ahead!
Julie said…
Primary IS a shock to the system at first, but you'll be a perfect fit. But then again, you're a perfect fit where ever you're put - because you're just so fabulous and capable. Best of luck.

May I suggest your first item of business is to get screens for all the windows and tethered tie-downs in every classroom . . . :)
Jenibelle said…
Celia said to have lots of rope, I was going to suggest duct tape.

Primary is my BIGGEST fear, more so than snakes I think. I will teach Seminary for the next 40 years so I don't have to go to Primary. Our Bishop keeps threatening, but I have too much on him.
MissLed said…
Are you kidding me...you were BORN to be a Primary President! Those kids will absolutely adore you (as long as they are not the one getting tied to a chair)!
Jessica G. said…
Don't gooooooo!!! *sobs!*
Brad is a good teacher but you know they're going to replace you with someone else, probably in the High Priests Quorum who will not make jokes about Nephi...
Darlin, put on your "baby step shoes" It takes nine months (or less for my girls) to produce a beautiful baby. These little children have many "issues" that will take some time to polish. These lucky children are in for a treat. You ARE in the right place xoxo
Leah said…
You'll do great! Primary is so easy! It is like being a cheerleader. I have been in primary for almost 10 yrs and wouldn't trade it for the world!(I also have peeked through Melanie E)
Karen said…
I HATED the last change in my calling too. Just so ya know, if I had a choice for who would be leading my kids' primary, it'd be you.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

Why its not good to leave your shoes lying around...

So day 3 of potty training. I push the drinks of water, orange juice, milk. Whatever. She holds it all morning long. We are on the potty every 15-30 minutes. She pees on the floor in the basement. (pergo so big deal). Last night while I am getting Max out of the tub she hops on the toilet and makes a download. My head nearly came off I was so excited. So she won't pee on the potty but she will do the other stuff. Or will she? Around 11:00 she starts telling me she is reedy reedy sweepy. I tell her to wait and we will put on a pull up and take a nap. About a half and hour later she wants a diaper please. I tell her we don't have any more diapers but when she is ready for a nap we will put the pull up on. She says ok and slumps up the stairs. I'm thinking I have mutiny on my hands. I am expecting to see her in a pull up with no intention of taking a nap. She comes down and shows the poop on her hands. She says she had a reedy reedy big poop. I ask her where she put it. She sa...