I love Valentines!
I think it is fabulous. The colors. The chocolate. The hearts. The mushy stuff. Being somewhat girly I buy into it all. This year I had BIG plans. They included making the girls pillowcases with little pockets so I could put their Valentines in while they were sleeping. Heart shaped red pancakes. Out to lunch. Dinner and a movie with Brad. Big plans.Unfortunately, it went something like this.
Wake up. Make my oral donation to the porcelin God. Pour the girls cherrios. More donations. Get the girls all dressed. Decide I should really clean the toilets and surrounding areas. Donation. Clean offending area. Grandma came over for a visit. Let Brad chose out to lunch place because let's face it-it probably won't stay anyway, and its probably all the selflessness I can muster today. Donation. 2 Hour nap. Lots of moaning and deciding whether or not I should take a pill. Abbie is in all of her Valentine glory. Cancel babysitter. Donation. Change out of darling Valentine outfit for the ahem, old reliable blue robe. Bath. Brad makes frozen pizza for dinner for girls.
Here's the kicker though.
Brad totally took over the festivities for the day. He bought the girls chocolates, chocolate syrup, and me some rocky road ice cream. Pink roses. He went to the video store and AGONIZED over which foreign film to select. Settled on a quirky Woody Allen film. Got the projector and set up the theatre downstairs. Put the girls to bed. Sat through a film I know he didn't love. Gave me my pill and said if I throw it up its ok because he is ready with another one.
When I went upstairs there was a homemade Valentine on my door from Abbie that said I love mommy xoxoxoxoxoxox. It was darling and I am going to keep it forever. As I fell asleep I kept wondering "Is it enough? do they get enough love and attention from me the other 364 days that I can be forgiven for being no fun on Valentines?" I hope so because my family is pretty great and I know they deserve more of me then I have been able to give lately.
Comments