Skip to main content

The End of the Rope: Complaints from the spoiled Brat

Many of you know that Bradfo works from home. Some of the perks include: I can have adult conversation during the day, I can run to the store when one or more sleeps (you know instead of having the Holy Ghost watch the kids), I am able to leave and teach seminary, I can send the naughty and obnoxious kids to him, I don't have to hurry and "clean the house" before he comes home cuz there ain't no foolin' him, we can go to lunch and the list goes on and on and on. Sometimes for work or just for funsies he will leave me and actually take an airplane away so I get to do all the stuff that I know most women do anyway because they are used to it. (for the record he gets a little testy when I say he's on vacation, he prefers the phrase "change of pace"-whatever. if you pack a suitcase and go someplace whether if its for business or pleasure I say vacation. He has been able to have 8 change of paces in the last 9 months.)

Needless to say I am a big cry baby when he's gone because I really like him. I try to keep myself busy with projects and activities hoping it will make the time go by faster-which it usually does.

This time, however, the time moved slower than slow. The week was filled with race recovery, final dance performance preparations, two sick kids, two trips to the doctor, meetings, final week of seminary etc. It was a blur but I think the trip to the airport to pick him up on Thursday summed it up. His flight was due to arrive at 8:30 so I figured I would take the kids to dinner (Costco pizza, yogurt, and hot dogs. Hey Big Spender!), then to the Museum.

(I would like to thank this man for walking into all 4 pictures of Amelia taken that day. idiot.)

Max had fallen and chomped down on his lip. Good mommy should have felt sorry when she saw blood from the accident. Bad mommy thought Ha! Ha! Yep, hurts when you bite "body parts" unnecessarily don't it? Bleeding not fun? Karma. Rules. Oh,and learn to take a bottle ya mama's boy.

I had timed it just right (so I thought) so that we would go to the museum, change into jammies, then actually go INSIDE the airport to meet him (I am such a curb gal it ain't even funny.)

I stroll over to the arrival sign and see to my horror that his plane is delayed an hour and a half leaving me absolutely at the end of my rope with 3 exhausted kids. I marched over to the counter of an airline that rhymes with pouthdest to double check that it wasn't a mistake. It wasn't. I turned around, put my hands over my face and cried. (Max and Amelia were already crying for various asundry...) So there I am walking around the airport crying with 2 other kids and Abbie holding my hand and saying its ok, he'll be here soon. A nice man came over and gave me a tissue. -he was from Denver and had some damage from the tornado and he hadn't been able to get a hold of his daughter. Stupid tornado was the reason Brad was late. Needless to say, I was a big hot mess when Brad got off the plane.


It's nice to have Brad home again to help spell me from some of my pressures. He may or may not have double tasked the dishes with bathing Max. Yes, the Bar Keepers friend on the counter does worry me. But I happen to know it doesn't bubble up like that so I think we're good.

Comments

heidiram said…
Oh baby! It looks like you at least survived to blog about it. And cute cute Max. Did he stop biting you yet? Or does he need to bite himself one more time?
i am so glad the HG can be in more than one place at one time, bc otherwise i was gonna wonder who's been watching MY kids while he was at your place...
Annemarie said…
Oh man. Husband out of town = a really, really bad week. I had the same week, so sorry. I felt your pain with each word.
Also, YOU CRACK ME UP!!!

seriously, lunch?? Kids have one more week of school...UGH!!!
Paige said…
HG is a great babysitter. And a TAXI/SHUTTLE is a great ride home from the airport.

Cute, adorable children.
AnnEE said…
First, I thought that Max was covered in blood. He's not. He just has food all over.

Love that kid. I'm excited for tonight.
Nancy said…
wow... I'm glad you made it through your week! If nothing else, it made for a great post!
Christy said…
You are quite the wife - actually picking your husband up at the airport! Just ONCE, we decided to go to the airport and suprise Daddy when he came home from a trip, even though he had his car parked there. We waited for everyone to get off the plane....turns out he took an earlier flight, which had never happened before, and he was home while we were waiting for him at the airport.

Max's forehead says "early walker" - my daughter constantly had a bruise on her forhead, or worse.
Unknown said…
Those kind of weeks are completely blog worthy and just a little FYI, I look at you with your three kids and look at me and say to myself, "Breathe... I can do it!" because my husband has crazy work schedules too.
Linsey said…
So could the lame guy just not see you and your camera - or not put 2 and 2 together? That always drives me crazy. Glad you survived, it's always a trial when Daddy is out of town.
Jessica G. said…
Karma works on kids? Dude...my kids sooooo have it coming...
Tristan said…
Whoa girl! Glad you survived! I guess those husbands are good for somethin right? ;)
MissLed said…
Fhheeewww! What a week. I'm glad you made it through all of that. p.s. - I love that you said HOT MESS in your blog post. You're fierce! No...hot mess...no no no FIERCE!
Nortorious said…
My husband works from home too and I throw big nasty fits when he goes on "vacation". I'll start calling it "vacation" just to make him feel bad for leaving. Good idea.
Lindy said…
yep, I'm glad to know Karma works on kids too--can't wait! glad you survived the week Brad was on vacation (let's be real, it's a vacation).
diane said…
Single parenting stinks, big time! Sounds like the triatalon was easier! You go with the breastfeeding. Yeah, I'm one of those crazy La Leche League chicks.
Jenn said…
Your posts are awesome keep them coming. thank you for sharing

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!