Skip to main content

Because I just don't want to forget

There are a few things that I choose not to blog about for my own personal reasons. One of those things is where I go 3 days a week for a few hours-my job. I teach special needs seminary and have so many fantastic experiences but I am finding I am forgetting some of the precious things so I am breaking my rule today.

We have special needs missionaries whose role is to assist in the classroom. For the past 3 years I have had one who has been somewhat of a challenge for everyone, but he finished his mission and I want to remember a few things about him in case our paths don't cross again for awhile. As I am thinking about this I am realizing that it won't make sense to anyone but me and you really have to know this kid. I know that most won't understand his "humor" or his more irritating behaviors, but I do and am really going to miss him.

He calls me Sunny. (I think its from Danielson, son, sonny. not sure)
On most days its Hey, Sunny! (I really tried to get him to call me SISTER Danielson but no luck. Not even a Sister Sunny. Sometimes it was YO Sunny!)
He reminds me of these muppet hecklers.

He sits off to the side and mutters comments under his breath.
(Example, Brothers and Sisters today we are going to talk...he'll mutter About WHAT... before I can finish)
He sighs and says "Brother" or "Get on with it" or "Not Again!" if you teach too slowly.
If I wear my brown skirt and I get too close to the stereo cabinet he'll close the skirt in the cabinet.
He changes the hymn numbers on the board.
He tapes things to my back when I'm not looking.
He has a nickname for all my students. Some of the nicknames are sort of rude. (To one of my more vocal students he calls her Missy Flappergums)
He is obsessed with Patmos, the apocolypse, and the priesthood.
He calls Heavenly Father Senor Lightning Bolt.
One of the things he most looks forward to is retirement (he is 33)
One of the things he hates is taxes.
He sings off tune on purpose.
If there are 4 minutes left in class he will use his fingers and AHEM you until you acknowledge his timekeeping abilities.

I was teasing him a bit telling him how much he is going to miss me (he does not express emotion verbally or otherwise). He came up to me and threw his arms around me then, realizing what he had done, settled on a noogie.

Now that his mission is finished he wants to be called on another mission to the Island of Patmos. I wish him good luck in his travels.

Comments

Hazen5 said…
(Sniffle, sniffle) That was such a sweet tribute to this Elder. You are the most patient person I know and are the perfect person to teach this awesome class!
those are important things to remember. special kids teach us special things. you'll miss him... and he'll miss you. thanks for sharing them. You're a great teacher, Mo Crush.
Emily said…
You have a way with words, I am glad you posted, brings back pleasant memories of stopping by the Seminary and greeted wamly as" Principals Why-eef" (wife), I miss the stories, and am grateful for a touch of it here and there. Thanks for sharing, again I am glad you posted.
Ha! The picture of Statler and Waldorf was absolutely perfect - that was laugh out loud funny. Maybe we can start a fund to send him to Patmos- I'll pitch in $10! "Phil"
Celia Fae said…
I don't want to forget either. In fact, I want to know more. But you know that.

We just had an elder sent home because he had Asperger's and didn't disclose. Maybe he'll be your new helper. He's very cute.
mamasuisse said…
It's not easy to sing off tune on purpose. He sounds like a real patience-trying kick.
Jessica said…
I really like Senor Lightning Bolt. I'm using it.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!