Skip to main content

Kindergarten Math-Laundry Style


Let me just begin by saying that I do not EVER remember having homework to do as a kindergartener and I NEVER remember having homework being the family affair. I guess that's why our country is not as educationally minded as India or China. This month's homework assignments (which takes place at least 20 times) includes 15 minutes a day of reading, 5 a day of studying the letters, and here's the killer for me...10 minutes a day of math. That's 200 hours of math activities for me to invent to reinforce what she learns with public education. This morning I had mucho laundry so I thought I would combine the 2 activities.

#1. Sort the laundry
#2. Take the towels out of the basket.
#3. Separate the patterned towels with the plain rags.
#4. Count the piles.
#5. Add the piles.
#6. Fold the piles.
#7. Count how many steps it takes to put the towels away.
#8. Repeat with other clothes.

Any other ideas for math/chores? Please share because I equally hate math and a dirty house.

Comments

AnnEE said…
So is picture #2 an exhibit of how a house gets dirty??
you could get into the whole fractions thing with folding the towels in half, thirds, fourths....um let's see...divide the number of underwear by the number of people in the house.....find the soap to water ratio in a typical load of laundry....Round the number of missing socks in a dryer load to the nearest ten, hundred and thousand...really the list is endless just wait until you have a 4th grader!!!
Ashley Clark said…
"Don't Eat Pete" with M&Ms or Skittles is always a winner. She can count the candy before or while you play the game. :)
Julie said…
wow - I'm really bad at math, (and laundry for that matter too) ... I'd have to chime in and say go for the M&M or Skittles game
Sarah said…
Hey, this is one of Anne's friend's from high school, and every once in awhile I peek at your blog. I have to say that the last picture, your little baby is soooo cute in his swing! I love that hat on him too...

Counting pennies is one thing my mom had us kids do, which is good because you can learn the value of different coins too. (A nickel plus a penny, or 1 + 5 is 6, etc.) You can have her cut a sandwich or some treat into equal pieces for herself and her sister, or you and her sister and dad, or basically any fractions where she has to take something whole and make it into parts. Cooking with measuring cups and spoons is always a good, tasty practice, but I'm not sure it makes for a very clean home!

I love reading your blog though! I can't wait until my husband and I have a goofy house full of kids to tell great stories about!
brad said…
I'm down here sweatin' it out in my basement office writing papers and studying for my Master's degree and took a break to read your blog. Nice posts, btw.

According to your "math" you have to do 200 hours of math each month. Did you multiply 10min x 20 school days? Sweetie, that equals 200 minutes of math or 3.3 hours per month...not 200 hours :) Unless Abbie is learning the "new math", maybe you should count the towels :)
Heather said…
Crap. I think someone else should take over the math duties because I did NOT even catch that error. And I have a stupid calculator on my computer. Hate math.
Unknown said…
Abby could count how many windows she could wash. Give her the power washer - count how many steps can get clean - oh wait, that step only got 1/3 of the way clean.
Cooking dinner equals many opportunties for math. Then she can count how many time you sigh and groan at the mess you get when you have children cooking with you. Oh wait, that's me.
Hazen5 said…
All this talk about math is giving me anxiety! I am not the "Math helper" in our family. It's sad when even your own kids know it-R.J.- "Oh mom I'll just wait till dad gets home to ask him."
Me- "No, let's get it done now, let me see it, Oh, um, dad will be home soon!"
I am very thankful that I married an accountant! (P.S. Heather, I am back to Blogging!)
Karen said…
I don't think that you should let these public schools boss you around like that. All this hoop-la is for home schoolers. Just tell Abbie to THINK math, and to BE the math.
Jessica said…
Seriously...I really get bugged when they expect me to do anything besides tell them how to spell a word once in a while. I already did school.

Maybe you can have her follow you around and add all the minutes you do stuff for her and all the minutes you do stuff for you and see if that makes her appreciate what a fabulous mother you are?!
Jessica said…
Okay I'm commenting again, because I just read all the way down and I don't think you'll notice my comment on the "growing up is hard to do" one and so I'm writing it here.

You are such a funny writer: the bold lettering, the words pushed together, the "no you didint!" Seriously, you could charge for this blog.
heidiram said…
Wow! I've been promoted to the top of the links list. I better hurry and get blogging, otherwise I'll be pushed back to the bottom of the page again. Yeah, what's up with all the homework that you have to do? Just go ahead and buy all the The Doorbell Rang, Cheerios, Goldfish, M and M math counting books and buy the accompanying treats to go along with it. Then you can knock out the "feeding your child" part on your daily to do list. Oh and since you are "one of those moms", you will already have the fresh baked cookies for when you sit down and read "The Doorbell Rang" together.
MissLed said…
Brad is hilarious! Doesn't he know that is why we decided to be com majors? NO MATH!

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!