Skip to main content

How to Make Apple Pie Filling: A Reciple for Disaster


Step 1: Live in a community where the fruit inhibitor spray didn't take leaving a billion apples that will rot unless you grab them. Consider picking and selling the apples at a stand on State Street to pay the community water bill. (Suck it Kent Wells at PG)
Step 2: Forget the ladder and enlist the help of Abbie's dream boy to climb the tree.
Step 3: Give Amelia a job so she will stop taking a bite of each apple giving her the runs in the future for sure.
Step 4: Wash the apples. Stop. change diapers for 2 kids, put one down for a nap, nurse the other.
Step 5: Peel the apples. Stop. Throw in a load of towells, change of clothes, kitchen rugs to recover from the previous apple baths.
Step 6: Send 5-year-old to the basement to get empty bottles (point out there are at least 85 because we opted not to do peaches this year.) Go to the couch and take a quick 20 minute nap because she gets so distracted and takes forever to complete the task.
Step 7: Make the syrup for the apples. Stop. Get napping daughter out of bedroom. Change diaper. Make snack for girls. Growl at oldest for spilling lemon juice after being told several times to "not do that". Go back to syrup. Stop. Nurse child. Forget syrup on stove. Burn syrup.
Step 8: Start syrup over. Send 2 helpers to the basement to watch George Monkey. Take phone call from brother. Burn finger on hot syrup while not paying attention. Blame Ms. Tulip.
Step 9: Load bottles in canner. Frick. Hear one break. Replan strategy for next batch of filling which would include vacationing husband in the process.

Comments

Hazen5 said…
I'm going to start blaming Ms. Tulip for everything. It's nice to have someone else to blame! Can you hate someone you don't even know? You make me laugh!
heidiram said…
Dear Miss Molly,
Sure wish I could be more like you. You are my hero . . . or is it heroine? Save some apple pie filling for me. I will be there in a month to taste test.
Ashley Clark said…
Heather, I simply love how you make delicious and different dinners every week and how you enlist the help of your kids in making apple pie filling. You are a wonderful mom, and I would love to be your daughter any day!
Unknown said…
looked pretty good to me.

P.S. - tell me who the heck is Ms. Tulip. I feel slightly out of the loop.
Jessica G. said…
You have noticed the plethora of apples, too, eh? But I'm not motivated enough to actually leave the house to retrieve them.
Celia Fae said…
Step 10. Go to the store and buy cans of apple pie filling. I know it isn't quite as delicious or satisfying, but think of all the blogging you could do in the meantime.
Rachel borrowed one of Ms. Tulip's pictures for her blog (see "tag"entry).
Oh I take that last post back. I still am not on the favorite links and I am boycotting. Fact: Bears eat geese.
Rick said…
Heather,

Referring to step 1 and Kent Wells w/ PG. I heard about the water bill for the hoa and the back billing that they promised they would not do. How goes the battle their? I was recently turned onto your blog by a mutual friend. I will let you guess. Anyways, fun reading.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!