Skip to main content

Growing up is hard to do...

Self portrait of the first born

This morning I was trying to motivate Abbie to stop what she was doing and focus on her homework that needed to be done. (She needed to finish writing the letter P over and over but instead wanted to draw pictures of things that start with P popcorn, pink, papa, paintbrush, paintbox, purple, etc...)

Mom: Abbie, put your crayons down, pick up your pencil and write your letters.
Abbie: Shut your mouth, mom.

Mom: er....


what

did

you

say?!

It should be noted here that:

1. Brad and I do not ever say shut your mouth. Pipe down? Yes. Quiet? You betcha. That's enough? yep. SHHHHHHH? That one too.

2. Brad and I haven't been listening to 70s funk as of late to warrant a James Brown or Foxy "Shut yo mouth HUmPH"

3. I did not respond with "Oh no you did-int!!!" and my finger waving all over. But I was tempted.

My eyebrows were raised so high they hit the ceiling. I walked over to her and got down at her level, (flicked her in the nose), and asked. WHERE?! did you learn that mean talk? Her eyes filled with tears (could be the nose flick) and she said Idontknowimsorrymom, and finished her homework.

Frightens me the things they learn these days.



Comments

Ashley Clark said…
Heather, I'm so happy to hear that someone else actually believes in telling their kids what's right from wrong. All the "new parents" seem to think the best thing to do is negotiate everything or to be their kid's best friend. Hmm.
Jessica G. said…
So if da Boo starts saying that, then I know who has been the "bad influence." :P

I hear all the time that parents let their kids talk like this so that they can "express themselves." Express themselves? Whatever happened to respecting others?
AnnEE said…
So are you telling me that the phrase "What the f..." isn't appreciated in your house? I'll have to call AbberDabber and encourage her to stop using it around you. That makes my heart break a little that mean little kids are teaching Abbie smart-aleck things. It must be Paige and Celia's kids. Or Nor. :)
Paige said…
Oh yeah, that's certainly the naughtiest thing a child has ever said. Please. And mine and Celia's kids only learn bad words from me.

But the corporeal punishment nose flicking is my highlight of this post.
heidiram said…
Yikes! At least I live too far away to be blamed for teaching your kids bad words.

Mateo was absolutely devastated the other day after coming home from the park. According to Mateo, somebody called him a naughty word. I was curious to see what the naughty word so I asked him. He said "Mami, that boy called me a "little guy". I'm not a little guy. I'm a big boy now. And I'm even potty-trained."
Celia Fae said…
My kid has started calling me "foo" as in "fool" as in Mr. T. It hasn't gone over well.

I'm sorry about Abbie's corruption. I bet she learned it on the SCHOOL BUS! Those things are evil. Maybe you should drive her both ways.
grammy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
grammy said…
Are you sure she didn't say "shut the door" I can hear something like that coming from The Simpsons
and I don't mean the neighbors down the steet.
Unknown said…
Okay, so here is my theory about children. Ready?
You know the movie Jurassic Park? And the groundskeeper is telling the scientists on the tour that they have electric fencing surrounding the dinosaur cages - but since the electricity doesn't stream constantly the dinosaurs are always testing the cages to see if the electricity is circulating or not. Sometimes they get lucky and sometimes they get shocked.
Well, children are dinosaurs. They are constantly testing to see if parent's "electricity" is on or not.
Jackson was put in time-out for 30 minutes today because he mouthed off to his father in front of the neighborhood kids. Shameful.
Unknown said…
PS - my TV guide could be lying, but I think America's Next Top Model premieres tonight.
Celia Fae said…
Heather, you are right. We need more raunchy comments. Why don't you put away the remote and lead the way.

I am not at liberty to comment on the origin of the boobs....
Julie said…
The nose flick is a brutal but effective tool. Get em right where there not expecting it - in the nose.
Melanie said…
Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into, having a baby girl? If I flick her nose, will she stop crying and go to sleep? Also, I am already a bit nervous Norah's first word may be "crap"...and everyone will know she heard from me...every day.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!