Skip to main content

Flick: Stuck, Stuck, STUCCCCCCCCKKK!


1. Christmas is nine days away and I have only purchased 4 presents. Total. We were going for the "something to wear, something to read, something to play with, something from Santa. All I have is 3 something to wear's and 1 birthday present. Oh and there are 3 birthdays this month.

2. I marvel at people who are "done". I play this game with myself where I remind myself how much I still have to do then time how long it takes for my heart to race, sink to my toes, then loose feeling in my fingertips and lips. The game amuses and hurts me.

3. I have had the annual cookie party (I think there were 70 people), a surprise party for Mariko (30 teenagers dancing on the deck), choir concerts, elementary school sing a longs, Max's "program", helping in classrooms, swim meets, dinners, after school activities, caroling, 3 more school parties, creche festivals, making dinner for a family in need, dropping off the cookies for the kids primary teachers, oh and the baking, baking, baking, gingerbread festivals, lights viewings, carriage rides, and 2 failed trips to meet Santa.

4. I am much more exhausted this year. See above.

5. Mariko's brother is coming from Japan for Christmas.

6. My brother is coming from San Diego for Christmas.

7. One of them wants to do a taffy pull.

8. I am not doing 59 neighborhood gifts this year.

9. Or teacher gifts for Max's teacher. (I don't think they really like him so why bribe with a scarf or something? He lands in time out nearly every day. I will send a meaningful note. When I get to it.)

10. I unsubscribed to 2 "famous" local sister blogs this week. I can't handle the selfishness/narcissism (meaning or unmeaning) in one, and the "call" for free stuff and calendar selling in the other. I just am at a point in my life where I don't want to know about all the restaurants you like or don't and how the world revolves around you. Or doesn't.

11. I almost quit and deleted my blog this year after my feelings were hurt in January. Obviously I didn't. But I am more cautious about the people I meet in the blog world. Because sometimes they can suck. I planned on forgiving the situation, you know for the "Christmas Speerit" and everything. I will get to that too. After the shopping and the meaningful teacher note writing.

12. The kids got a letter from Santa and it pretty much sealed the deal for Abbie for at least 2 more years. Amelia is full of doubts and is playing along. Max is still singing about being a monster Frankenstein. But he does a hilariously irreverent "We wish you a merry (zurbert sound) mas".

13. Brad is having surgery next Wednesday. So yah. That.

14. I feel like I should be on Man vs. Food. You know after he does a challenge and looks sleepy and miserable. I just love cake that much though. Considering a healthy eating challenge in January. After the shopping, meaningful note writing, forgiving things though.

15. I just remembered Amelia is supposed to bring "candies" to her class today. "Candies?" Would leftover Halloween "candies" work. I've listened to the message 23 times now and I still don't understand "candies". Is that like m&m's? Or is that chocolate-s? Is it for the whole class consumption? 38 combined kids needing "candies"? Is it a craft? Candies. So now it looks like, candies, shopping, meaningful note writing, forgiving, healthy eating.

Comments

Kimberly said…
Your list makes my heart race a little as well. Good thing you have such a great sense of humor! I vote your cookie party is your neighbor gift, thoughtful notes are appropriate at any time and won't get overlooked if not sent right at Christmas, there will be plenty of candies, and paring down of blog list to exlude annoying/mean/narcissistic/guilt inducing ones is a must. Now all you have left to do is shop!

p.s. I'm glad you didn't delete your blog, and I have been meaning to congratulate you on your amazing blogging in November. You rocked it!

Happy race to the holidays!
Kimberly said…
Ironically, just after I posted my comment, my son called to tell me that he was sticking out his tongue near a pole and was bumped and it stuck to the pole and then ripped and is bleeding. Um, yeah.
Linsey said…
Phew. Sounds like you need a vacation. Candies? What kind of a word is that anyway? As if, candies.

Just this week I was talking to my husband about the homemade christmas showcase/buy my calendar blogathon. I'm trying not to be annoyed, I mean, there's real tragedy there, but it seems a bit opportunistic and not in the right way. I mean, what about fundraising for victims, not just collecting strange floral accessories for self? Yes, I know, I do live in my own glass house and you can feel free to throw stones at it.

I'm with Kimberly, go finish your Christmas shopping, it only gets more crazy the closer we get to next Saturday, and skip the rest. Especially the inexplicable candies!
Tricia said…
RE: #10 - I hear ya sista.
Unknown said…
Thanks for this post. Only because I feel the same way a lot of the time. I can't even blog right now because it's just too much and too much pressure I put on myself.

I wish with all of my heart I could join all of you for cousin get together this month and since it has been a year since Grammy passed away and we've gotten together, I feel extra nostaligic (see I even misspelled that - just to honor Grammy and Poppy). Anyway, I loved Abbie and St Lucia - that was so great - you're so lucky :)
val said…
I appreciate your blog very much, enjoy it all the time. Never delete it, lol.

I don't follow many blogs because most of them are so incredibly boring.

Yours though? Not boring. Lovely.

We're in the race to Christmas too, and though I've opted out of a lot of it, what remains will take all the time there is. love, Val
April said…
Heather, your life is wonderful. I enjoy what you do for your family...they are your top priority. This Christmas will come...just like it has every year whether you are ready or not. And...it will be great. You are great...life is great...counting those blessings helps everytime. See you on the 27! Can't wait!
~j. said…
I hope your Christmas was lovely (and continues to be, because honestly, it lasts a week or so, doesn't it?).

(Tracking says your pass arrived at your doorstep, I hope that's the case.)
Emily said…
You are hilarious. And crazy. And really good at putting life into perspectives that make us all laugh. Don't delete your blog EVAH. It's one of my favs.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!