Skip to main content

Run Baby Jesus! Run!

I was coming back downstairs from putting Max down for a nap and I hear Amelia singing Mary's Lullaby to herself. She is playing with a nativity set and is sweetly retelling the story of the birth of the Savior. My heart swells a bit.

Then her version of the story makes an adventurous plot twist. (I grabbed a pen and scribbled word for word what happened next)

"Then a dinosaur came and scared all of the people. And the dinosaur was kind of soft and not soft just really squishy but really scary! And the sheeps were all really dead. And the dinosaur scared them all. So the baby Jesus said hey let's get a ride out of here (at this point she empties my folded piles of clean laundry out of the basket and pimps a get away car for everyone). Then they take a ride. Hold on! (she dumps the nativity out). Run baby Jesus! run! hurry! AAAAHHHH! We knocked over all the people! And baby Jesus said let's go again!! and baby Jesus began to cry and the people said no! no babies crying allowed in here! so the dinosaur came and locked up all of them. The baby Jesus said uh-oh. I'm all locked up now."



We have all sorts of doctrine around these parts, no?

Comments

Unknown said…
I seriously needed a good belly laugh and that fit the bill. Oh my gawh, how funny was that??? From now on, when I see my kid's nativity sets, I'll think "Run Baby Jesus Run!"
diane said…
It looks like Godzilla in Bethlehem.
Wow I have never heard the extended version of that story!! Kinda exciting!!!
Nana said…
And who said that all those trips to the Dinosaur Museum this summer not worth very penny.....
grammy said…
I'm sure "Baby Jesus" was smiling after that account of the nativity.
Yes Virginia, creativity runs big time in that family.
Jessica said…
I think you need to tell the "let the little children come unto me" story again, as she currently thinks Jesus kicks out crying babies and, really, I have a couple kids that would be in BIG trouble, should that be true.
That made me snerkle out loud.
April said…
I though you were a seminary teacher? What happened? Is eveyone being led astray? Seriously funny! Sounds a bit like Garrett's version of why Jesus loves the dinosaurs and why Satan destroyed them all when the "comet hit the earth". Hey is your brother coming to Utah for Christmas? We all need to get together! Please respond and let me know what we could put together. Pot luck and eveyone just catching up! Wait for your response!
April
heidiram said…
I love my little Mia Mia. She is such a classic. Sarah's rendition of the story would most likely include princesses. I have tried and tried to get Sarah into dinosaurs instead of princesses . . . but it's a no go. Bummer.
queenieweenie said…
A little imagination is...kinda scary?
Jenibelle said…
Ummmmmm.....aren't YOU the Primary President here? If that's the kind of stuff you're teaching, no one will miss a week.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Max selfies at church

I am not sure if he is showing off his new tie he got for Christmas? He is a handsome little guy!