Skip to main content

Why Surprise Parties Could be a Bad Idea for the First Born

She's not a huge fan of the surprises (sort of like her dad)

I thought she would love a surprise (sort of like her mom).

Here's how it went down...

(a conversation with Brad and I earlier in the week)

B: Wow. Look at these great specials to Oakland. I should get a ticket.
Me: Yes. You should get a ticket.
B: OK. I will get a ticket.
Me: Pick a kid to go with you. I pick Abbie.
B: Yes. I will pick Abbie and surprise her and not tell her we are going. Just surprise her.

(an hour before take-off)

B: Abbie, we are actually in (our takeoff city...) because Daddy is going on a trip

B: Yeah. So daddy is going on a trip to visit Grandma.

B: And I have an extra ticket for you to come. You are coming with me.

Abbie: I don't want to go!

Abbie: Mommy stop blogging this!

Abbie: This is the meanest trick you've ever done to me. I don't want to leave my mommy.

Mommy: You are so lucky you don't have to go to school for 2 more days! Or go to dance class!

Abbie: I don't have any clothes to wear.

(24 hugs and kisses, some reassurances, a packed bag, and 30 minutes later)
Abbie: Bye mommy!

Comments

AnnEE said…
Oh my funniest post in a long time.

Although, I will say that the first crying picture was really sad. Then she did the snotty "Stop blogging this" picture, and I stopped being sad.

I did want to hug her though.

Congrats, Target. You were a success.
Anonymous said…
You are such a mean mom.
Tristan said…
Great blogging! I love that you captured every moment on camera! I hope she has fun!
MissLed said…
You guys are the most fun parents in the world! Surprise vacations! Seriously- do you want to adopt me? I'm sure she will have a blast, once she gets over the initial tears.

BTW - That "Stop blogging this" picture is classic!
Emily said…
LOL, loved the pictures, and I am sure she will have so much fun...
I think next time Toph goes out of town, I am going to suggest taking a child.
Good Idea.
Christy said…
Oh Abbie - I so agree. I do not like suprises either - bad OR good ones. However, once you get over the pain and suffering, I bet you have a great time with Grandma!
Unknown said…
This was a great story!

I'm so glad that you can appreciate Abby for who she is.
Jessica said…
I'm a first born and we just like a little bit of control, alright? Don't make fun.
Sally said…
I came to find your blog so I could tell you that I saw your nice husband and adorable Abbie at church yesterday! Abbie is so sweet and cute and we sang to her loudly in Primary...I hope she had a good time.

Jason (my husband) was glad to see Brad. I wish we lived in the same town so we could hang out.
Hazen5 said…
Sooooooooo Funny!!! How come her hand is cut out of the "Stop Blogging" picture. What was her finger doing??!!
Jenibelle said…
What's so sad is that our kids know that WHATEVER they do is now fodder for blogging. Poor, poor, lucky Abbie!
diane said…
My daughter asked for a surprise party for her birthday and is now planning every detail...SURPRISE?!
Lorena said…
That's a great one! I'll have to remember it! I would be a little worried about the wardrobe, as well.
Hollyween said…
I love how you chronicled the entire thing. That was great.

I like her tears and then it turning all into happiness. It will be good for her!!!
Jessica G. said…
Ah, the emotional spectrum of kindergartners...
weeze or Alissa said…
oh too funny...but I'm glas you got her on the plane. My kids won't even go near things they aren't prepared for...they are older now but things like Santa...big no go.

weeze

p.s. please call me so we can get together. I'm stalking you. You live so close and it's a shame that I don't know diddly about my awesome cousins. 253-5347
Linsey said…
Once we took a VERY LONG (extra emphasis there) trip to surprise my grandma. Halfway there we called her and she said she wasn't ready for us to come so we turned around! She's a firstborn too!!
Jake said…
Don'tcha love grateful children? Mine would be equally "thrilled"!
mamasuisse said…
Am I a bad person that her tears made me laugh?

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Why its not good to leave your shoes lying around...

So day 3 of potty training. I push the drinks of water, orange juice, milk. Whatever. She holds it all morning long. We are on the potty every 15-30 minutes. She pees on the floor in the basement. (pergo so big deal). Last night while I am getting Max out of the tub she hops on the toilet and makes a download. My head nearly came off I was so excited. So she won't pee on the potty but she will do the other stuff. Or will she? Around 11:00 she starts telling me she is reedy reedy sweepy. I tell her to wait and we will put on a pull up and take a nap. About a half and hour later she wants a diaper please. I tell her we don't have any more diapers but when she is ready for a nap we will put the pull up on. She says ok and slumps up the stairs. I'm thinking I have mutiny on my hands. I am expecting to see her in a pull up with no intention of taking a nap. She comes down and shows the poop on her hands. She says she had a reedy reedy big poop. I ask her where she put it. She sa...