Skip to main content

Taming the Tornados: A Lesson in Non-Compliance

(Will update often)


After Elder Ballard's very inspiring talk yesterday I have decided to potty train Amelia and teach Max to drink from a cup today. (Between you and me do you think Elder Ballard wants me to quit the Diet Coke because it really does make me go a lot faster and get more done..hmmm)

Whatever. I'm just sick of diapers and nursing.

10:00 am. Put Ariel panties on. Set microwave timer for 30 minutes. Practice what we'll do when the timer goes off.
10:17 am. Ask Brad to set the "Potty timer" watch which will play music and is cooler.
10:30 am. Microwave timer goes off. Decide to ignore it and wait for potty watch.
10:31 am. Amelia pees on floor. Put Nemo panties on. Clean carpet. Smile.
10:37 am. Potty Watch goes off. Reset.
11:07 am. Potty watch goes off again. Sit on potty.
11:15 am. Amelia goes in the corner and makes a "download". Smile. Put Winnie the Pooh panties on.
11:30 am. Sit on potty. At least she likes the potty dance. Can't blame her. It is super fun.
12:00 pm. Sit on the potty.
12:05 pm. Pee on the floor. Ask which panty she wants. No tanks she says. Agree to do this commando style.
12:30 pm. Sit on the potty. Mommy brings the little bouncy ball and we laugh while we see if we can make it hit all walls.
1:00 pm. Sit on the potty. bouncy ball fun.
1.30 pm. sit on the potty. Put pull-up on for nap. (as per Abbie's request). Notice the flowers disappear upon contact with her body. Smile. At least I don't have to do more laundry.

1:50 pm. I'm downstairs in the basement with Max and Brad. I hear mysterious footsteps on the main floor. I go upstairs to investigate. Amelia is sitting there watching TV. Says, good morning Mom! I'm all done. I say no you're not. she says, I say hi to daddy. and kiss one more time. And kiss Max one more time. I notice she is walking funny. She has put the rings on her feet and arms from Max's toy. The blue ring does not want to come off.
2:00 pm. Amelia is back upstairs in her bed with the blue ring on her foot.
4:00 pm. I wake Amelia up. Take off pull-ups. Sit on potty. I get ring off her leg while she sits on the potty.
4:30 pm. Amelia sits on the potty. I decide that I should maybe think about giving her more to drink.
5:00 pm. Sits on the potty. Goes without the big song and dance. grabs the potty ball and hops up on the potty.
5:07 pm. Pees on the floor. I smile. and sigh.
5:30 pm. goes to sit on the potty all by herself. doesn't want the potty watch because "it scares me." Is probably stoked at all the gummy bears she has eaten today, the juice with the fancy straws, and all the attention.
5:40 pm. Is listening to my ipod and singing a bushel and a peck while sitting on my lap. I am very nervous about having her bare booty on me. Decide its no big deal because I haven't been to the gym yet so I haven't had a chance to work out.

Comments

Lindy said…
oh no, potty flashbacks... I'm so glad you are still smiling. I totally turned on my deaf ears to the addictive substance comment yesterday so I don't know what you are talking about...:)
AnnEE said…
I REALLY think he was talking about Meth. You don't have a problem with that, do you?
MissLed said…
I hated that part about the addictive substances too. Rob has been trying to get Megan to lay off the D.C. too and teases me about the Diet Dr. Pepper thing...so he gave us an "I told you so" glare durring that talk. I'm not planning to give it up completely, but I've decided to cut back. I'm going on 17 hrs with no caffine! So far...so good.
Julie said…
Funny post Heather - but disturbing. Disturbing in the fact that while this has me laughing now (not at you - with you of course) I will not be thinking that the situation is so funny another 9-12 months from now when we're potty training again. If she wasn't so dang cute this might have been a frustrating day. Good luck on round two tomorrow!
Jessica G. said…
Funny, I watched that same talk and had absolutely no inclination to potty train. :) I'd better get on the ball, though. Preschool waits for no man...or boy, rather.
Melanie said…
Elder Ballard's talk was the best I think I have heard on the subject of motherhood and I too found myself with an extra smile on my face while cleaning the kitchen and doing the 489375874568457 load of laundry! Can't wait to hear more potty training adventures...we are going full force with this in about 3 weeeks and we'll see what we can do before baby arrives. I know they say not to do it when you move or have a baby...but I'm sorry, I have to try because otherwise my next window is in 6 months and his rear end is just seeming a little too large for diapers lately!
Laura said…
Wow!!! I don't idol you right now. The potty training stage. Yikes. Never really had to do it. Jaden's awesome pro babysitter did that job for us. He was potty trained within days. Good Luck.
Tim and Angie said…
Wow, you have more patience than me. I'm actually struggling with my strong willed almost 4 year old right now. I don't even want to think about potty training my 2 year old yet. Good luck!!
Melanie said…
Oh joy, potty training, another little gem of motherhood I have to look forward to.

As for the "addicitive substances", I just have to brag for a minute. I am down to the diet cokes maybe once or twice a month and, not counting the homemade root beer in Oklahoma, Lin has not had soda of any kind since January. It's an uphill battle, but we will prevail!
Celia Fae said…
Call me a heathen, but I think those Lovely Mother talks given by men are slightly condescending. So much for my mansion.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I totally rule: How I rediscovered my chi

(In order to fully appreciate this post, you MUST put on the background music. Just click the play from youtube. This has potential to be a longagong post so you might as well enjoy some tunes. I did most of my training with these gentleman blasting in my ear. Vampire Weekend, I love you.) Here's the story with the gory details. Why do you tri? On October 18, 2004 I delivered a 16 week old boy in the same room of the American Fork hospital that I lost one six months earlier. (I get pregnant really easily.) The previous week I had seen the doctor and everything was looking good and right on track so yay for me. While the first one was devastating (a whole other post for a whole other day), it was number 2 that changed me. I was so angry at my body for betraying me and not letting me do what I wanted it to do. I figured I was doing all the "right things" with the taking care of myself so therefore, I would be able to carry the babies to term and everyone would live happily ...

I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, but Primary?!

Brad took the picture of me teaching GD a year ago. I was not pleased. No pictures. Brad took this picture of Max while I was teaching GD a month ago. I was pleased. Pictures of Max are fine by me. Some important thoughts on my new calling: In the 21 years since I have been in Primary as a merrie miss (apparently they are not called that anymore), I have subbed a handfull of times. It was not a success. One time, while subbing for Brad I went into the class and the boys had escaped out the window. All I saw were a set of feet as the kid was leaping out. Another time, while subbing for Brad I used the tie some kid was using and irritating everyone around him with and TIED HIM TO THE CHAIR. Another time, while subbing, the kid sliced his finger on the chair (not the same kid and he was not trying to escape my tying him up.) and ended up in the ER. (and it so happens that his mom is my 2nd counselor. I think that's funny.) I really really really loved teaching Gospel Doctrine. I hope ...

Why its not good to leave your shoes lying around...

So day 3 of potty training. I push the drinks of water, orange juice, milk. Whatever. She holds it all morning long. We are on the potty every 15-30 minutes. She pees on the floor in the basement. (pergo so big deal). Last night while I am getting Max out of the tub she hops on the toilet and makes a download. My head nearly came off I was so excited. So she won't pee on the potty but she will do the other stuff. Or will she? Around 11:00 she starts telling me she is reedy reedy sweepy. I tell her to wait and we will put on a pull up and take a nap. About a half and hour later she wants a diaper please. I tell her we don't have any more diapers but when she is ready for a nap we will put the pull up on. She says ok and slumps up the stairs. I'm thinking I have mutiny on my hands. I am expecting to see her in a pull up with no intention of taking a nap. She comes down and shows the poop on her hands. She says she had a reedy reedy big poop. I ask her where she put it. She sa...